Just something on my mind as the evening winds down...
Why is the boldest course of action the easiest to envision but the hardest to enact? It's easy enough to think about dropping everything and running off to travel the world, or volunteering for some relief/aid agency in a remote corner of the globe, or telling someone what I really think/feel about him/her, but no, I stay in safety. I tolerate the annoying customer, I smile at the jerk and treat with mere friendliness the girl I want to ask out; I remain with my job, my apartment, my shell.
Is it better to stay this way? I do take pride in my ability to approach most things diplomatically, to rationally examine alternate and opposing thoughts or actions and determine the merits and disadvantages of each. Yet sometimes I feel shackled to civility. Most of the time I'm Spock, and that's fine; I just wanna be Kirk on occasion. I guess it boils down to a desire to express myself honestly to the rest of the world. Perhaps I should maintain the Vulcan commitment to logic and emotional control when I'm talking politics or making decisions and open up more when dealing with matters of the heart.
Well, I suppose that's it for now. I hope to write more often in 2009, so stay tuned!
Monday, February 9, 2009
Boldness and Control
at
7:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you're pretty much right. Obviously we shouldn't be rational all the time, but we shouldn't be emotional all the time either. The trick is in the balancing, and I sure don't have it right either.
ReplyDeleteYou have to learn to act before you have time to think about it (and realize the humongous potential for it all blowing up in your face). JUST DO IT! Act now, think later!
ReplyDeleteThen again, if I did a little less of the above, perhaps I wouldn't spend as much time in the principal's office... :P